Close

Stay up to date with Sully, Tony, Robbie and Shannon by signing up to The Awakening, the official newsletter for Godsmack. Regular updates will be sent straight to your inbox, giving you the latest on album releases, tour dates, ticket sales and more.

All fields must be completed in order to join the mailing list.

Mailing List

Email :

any Mastodon or Opeth fans?

Wed, May 9, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Ok, so everybody knows about Record Store Day. Being in South Texas does have it's perks when it comes to music, sports, etc. Tons of Concerts are always passing through my own personal "Tri-City Area" (Austin, San Antonio, and Corpus Christi). On Record Story Day, Mastodon and Opeth had a show at Concrete Street in Corpus. Earlier that day, they were at a local record store doing a meet and greet. Mastodon had a special release on vinyl (duh, it's RECORD store day) in which they did a cover of the Flaming Lips Song "Spoonful Weighs a Ton." On the reverse is the Flaming Lips version.
Anyhoo, to my point: I waited in line there and met both bands. Got Mastodon to sign their side of the record, and Opeth sign the backside. I bought 2 copies, one to get signed (which I did) and the other to add to my other vinyl. (Yes, I collect vinyl. It's awesome.)
But I have since realized that I'm not that much of a fan of either of these bands. I figured I would just add to my swag collection, but if anyone is interested in this, let me know. I'm not really attached to it. I could put in in Ebay, but eh, I've outgrown Ebay, haha.

Replies to This Posting

1. Re: any Mastodon or Opeth fans?

Thu, May 10, 2012 at 10:13 AM

People like The-Dark-Gift are the reason why independent record stores close down. Do yourself a favor, go buy a CD today, and prove it.
    Mashed potatoes for eveyone

2. Re: any Mastodon or Opeth fans?

Thu, May 10, 2012 at 10:29 AM

There are no independent cd stores in my area. I'm in a small town.
    We like to talk big, vampires do. "I'm going to destroy the world." That's just tough-guy talk.The truth is, I like this world. You've got, dog racing, Manchester United. And you've got people. billions of people walking around like a happy meal on legs.

3. Re: any Mastodon or Opeth fans?

Thu, May 10, 2012 at 10:30 AM

and the bands I listen to, don't care if people download their shit cuz they get peanuts from record sales.
    We like to talk big, vampires do. "I'm going to destroy the world." That's just tough-guy talk.The truth is, I like this world. You've got, dog racing, Manchester United. And you've got people. billions of people walking around like a happy meal on legs.

4. Re: any Mastodon or Opeth fans?

Thu, May 10, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Dude, Randy Blythe (in one of those poorly selling bands you claim to have such kinship with) went off last night about how much he cares about this exact topic. His passionate and intelligent rant was on the front page of every metal blog this morning; should you have any interest in informing yourself before speaking.

Stop believing in the sound of your own voice and pay at least a tiny shred of attention to the greater world before climbing on your Hot Topic, food court, box store, small-minded, Oshawa-based soapbox. These are my friends, bands, labels and stores you are insulting with your self-centered and poorly researched rhetoric.

Your transparent and needlessly contrary vampire boy cliche routine is really getting old man. I am quite happy to treat you as an adult and have an intelligent conversation with you, but if you don't have anything relevant to add to a discussion just stay in the Avril Lavigne, big jugs, bikini thread where you belong. At least in there you are able to serve a purpose by being good for a laugh.

5. Re: any Mastodon or Opeth fans?

Thu, May 10, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Havent been a lamb of god fan in years.

Liam from the cancer bats spoke out on downloading awhile ago and said what I just said.

6. Re: any Mastodon or Opeth fans?

Thu, May 10, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Needlessly contrary babytalk.

7. Re: any Mastodon or Opeth fans?

Thu, May 10, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Can't lie, never heard of record store day but I have always loved going to the Indie shops and digging up the press release demos and what not!! I grew up in a VERY small town and we had one that was owned by a former Black Flag roadie, he had the best vinyl in there and could find just about anything you asked for. Makes me a little sad for the good old days.

I also still buy CD's pretty regularly, I do rip them into my devices, but I like having the CD.
    Georgia

8. MIA avatar MIA

Re: any Mastodon or Opeth fans?

Thu, May 10, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Just like books stores..... oh how the world is changing!
    "e"

9. Re: any Mastodon or Opeth fans?

Thu, May 10, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I still buy books.

10. MIA avatar MIA

Re: any Mastodon or Opeth fans?

Thu, May 10, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I know but the stores are closing... our Coles closed down a few months ago. I've been ordering on line, but i'm used to reading off my iphone now.
    "e"

11. Re: any Mastodon or Opeth fans?

Thu, May 10, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Me, too...for the books. I read a lot and so many people assume I want or keep telling me I should get a reader. Nope, not for me. I love having the actual book in my hands. Plus, our office at home is decorated to look like a library...how many kindles or nooks would I have to buy to fill up the shelves?!

12. Re: any Mastodon or Opeth fans?

Thu, May 10, 2012 at 12:14 PM

The Chapters here is still going strong.

13. Re: any Mastodon or Opeth fans?

Thu, May 10, 2012 at 12:18 PM

ok, this is easily the best Mastodon thread I have ever read.

I was given an eReader for Christmas and just can't get used to it. I require a tactile relationship with literature.

14. Re: any Mastodon or Opeth fans?

Thu, May 10, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I kinda like Mastodon. Some of their songs are ok. I'm not a big fan though.

15. Re: any Mastodon or Opeth fans?

Thu, May 10, 2012 at 3:02 PM

razor_wire wrote:
    ok, this is easily the best Mastodon thread I have ever read.

I was given an eReader for Christmas and just can't get used to it. I require a tactile relationship with literature.

I feel the same way, I love the feel of a book
    Georgia

16. RE: any Mastodon or Opeth fans?

Mon, May 14, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Haha, you people.